Human Capital Program Landing Page
NASA Workforce Map
Human Capital Legislation
• This provision authorizes NASA to pay General Schedule employees at any step within the pay range for the grade of the position when the employee is assigned to a new position or is assigned new duties, and the employee possesses unusually high or unique qualifications for the job.
• When this pay incentive is used to assign a current NASA employee to a new set or duties or position, a written determination must be made that the employee’s contributions in the new position exceed those in the former position.
• Pay set under this provision is considered part of the employee’s basic rate of pay.
• If an employee serves at least one year in a position for which qualifications pay was authorized (or a successor position), that rate of pay may be used to set pay in succeeding actions. However, if an employee fails to complete a year in that position, his or her pay will be set in the new position as if that pay incentive had not be granted.
• Prior to using this authority, NASA must submit a plan to OPM that describes the criteria and process for approving qualifications pay.